Saturday, February 23, 2008

Where Do We Go from Here?

Like a lot of young folks without families and money, when I travel to a new city, it tends to be because I know someone that lives there. This morning I've been thinking a lot about travel. I haven't done much traveling outside of the US (living in Texas and going over the border into Mexico is so common and frequent that it may as well not count), and my in-country traveling only covers 14 states and the district. Considering that there are 50 states, I feel like I'm no taking advantage.

I'm not counting layovers. If I do that, then I've been to Florida and Nevada. Also, should I count travel stops? As in, I once landed in Rhode Island and took the train to Connecticut. Do I count Rhode Island? My cab driver from the airport in Providence (beautiful and efficient, by the way) to the train station was totally awesome, and not only bummed me a smoke, but also gave me a mini-tour of the Brown campus and downtown. So maybe I have been to Providence. That driver, by the way, completely convinced me that Rhode Island is a fucking awesome state. Please do not dissuade me if this is not true, 'cause I plan to go to my grave convinced by that guy.

The point of all this musing is that I'm headed down to Orlando in a couple of weeks with friends Traci and Russell. We're driving and staying with bartender friends, which means we can be tourist while they sleep during the day and enjoy their knowledge of nighttime attractions in the evenings. We plan to hit the Dali museum (2 hours out of town), some museum that has a reconstructed Tiffany ceiling, and, possibly, Epcot. Traci seems to love it; I don't really have an opinion, but I'm not much of a theme park girl, and y'all know how I feel about family activities and families with children in general. My visit to the city of Disney will be much more gay-bar oriented than theme park. Unless, of course, you make the obvious joke about gay bars being like a theme park...

Sports note: Why the fuck do I get the Oregon/UCLA game over the Texas/Oklahoma game today? Who in Georgia gives a fuck about UCLA?

2 comments:

Spacebeer said...

The only time I've been in Orlando was when I was 12 and the family went to Disneyworld (which I didn't like, except for the Epcot center which I thought was pretty great at the time). I have a friend who swears that the Dali museum is one of the greatest places on earth. At this point in my life I think just getting out of town is great, no matter how you do it. Have a lovely trip!

DWG said...

Interesting post, Courtney. I don't think you can count layovers. However, if you took the train through the state, then I think you can count that. My impression of Providence was that it is a pretty cool town.